Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Sunbonnet Sue Quilt

This quilt was made by my mom and one of her sisters at least 45 years ago. When asked the exact date, my mom said, “A hundred years ago.” My aunt’s memory was a little better. Her reply was, “After you were born.”


They made a 12 patch Sunbonnet Sue quilt, with each block being 18”. There are 2” sashings between each block, and a 2” gingham border around the Sues for a total size of 62” x 82”. Each Sue is different with a pretty dress and coordinating bonnet. I love all the old fabrics that were used. I remember as a kid wishing I had Barbie clothes that matched that nicely (even then - fabric, fabric, fabric).  Most of the material is from the 40s and 50s, and had been in the scrap bag a good while. All the embroidery was hand sewn, as well as the appliqué, the quilting and the binding. The batting is real cotton and thin, but I don’t know if that was the original design or has become thin from years of love.

Double spaz for me because not only was this an antique quilt, but one I had adored as a child.  I never knew Sue's story until I was asked to restore her.  Some days it's a good thing that only our Golden Retriever, Merle, is around to see me in action (ha).

Poor Sue had around 4’ of binding at the top that had come loose. Additionally, all the quilt stitching at the top had come out. I repaired the binding and the quilting, and gave Sue a nice long soak. She looks as good as new, and is ready for another 45 years of memories.

To see all the Sues up close and personal, please go to my Flickr page.

No comments:

Post a Comment