Saturday, August 29, 2009

Pros & Cons Of Working Alone

I run a one woman shop, so I work by myself during the day. I never get lonely though because I have our Golden Retriever, Merle, to keep me company. I’ve had people ask me if it bothers me to be by myself all day, and after working in the corporate world for over 15 years, I can answer: H E double hockey sticks no! But to be fair, I wrote myself a list of the plusses and minuses of working solo:


1. No more tyrannical, ego-maniacal bosses to put up with.  However, I am now my own tyrannical, ego-maniacal boss.


2. No commute.  However, I'm responsible for all the daily household minutiae because I’m home all day “doing nothing”.


3. Don’t have to listen to co-workers’ drama, but now I have to make up my own gossip.


4. Don’t have to stress over the rumor mill, but one day, I may have tell myself I’m laid off (awkward).


5. Peace and quiet rule!  However, Merle doesn’t like my singing.


6. Don’t have to complete “personal goals” on my section of my performance review. They never liked seeing, “Save my money to open a quilt business.” Or “Retire by 58.”  On the minus side, how the heck do you write a business plan?


7. My artsy-fartsy creative side can finally breathe.  The CYA, watch your back, don’t trust anyone side can retire.


Since the plus list is longer than the minus list, I guess I’m where I’m supposed to be. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to see if I’m achieving my business goals, and complete Merle’s performance review.

No comments:

Post a Comment