Friday, March 26, 2010

Amazing What You Can Find When You Clean Out Your Closet

I cleaned out my closet yesterday and found a treasure. For over 30 years, my Great Aunt Florence owned the swankiest dress store in town, aptly named The Florence Shoppe. All the well heeled ladies of the town could get anything they wanted there: dresses, shoes, jewelry, peignoirs, hosiery and all their lingerie. The entire time Aunt Florence owned her shop (40s-70s), ladies' "unmentionables" were in discreet boxes behind the counter. The box I found used to hold a dozen panties. From the tape marks, I think it used to hold Christmas presents too. I thought the box was treasure enough, because I could remember the stacks of seafoam boxes that lined the wall behind the counter. But when I opened it, there was a mink collar inside (don't throw red paint on me). I don't remember getting the box, let alone looking inside it. I think it may have been my aunt's mink. The collar clips to your dress at the shoulder, and snaps in the front. All hand stitched too. I don't wear fur, but I collect vintage textiles, so I guess I'll find a better storage method than an old lingerie box lined with old plastic Sears packaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment